Can a Video make or break a song for you?

Silverkin

Just curious.

I remember being disappointed when I saw the video to go with Hoobastank's The Reason - I think because it didn't seem to bear any relation to what the song was about - and I was surprised to see it took the shine off the song for me temporarily (cos each time I heard it I would see the stupid video in my head).

Then again, videos like Michael Jackson's Thriller of course or Aha Take On Me seem to elevate good songs to another level.

I'm pretty sure no matter how good a video was it couldn't convert me to like a naff song but now I wonder...?

Maybe, potentially, if the video was amazing would it work because you would keep watching it and in that way the song would grow on you too because of hearing it multiple times?

Any thoughts?

Interesting question, a good video will definitely enhance my thoughts on the song. Your example of Thriller by Michael Jackson did make me realize that some videos over the years made such an impression on me that I ended up giving the song or artist more of a chance than I may otherwise have before seeing the video. A more recent example of that for me was when I watched the video for Weapon of Choice by Fatboy Slim, with Christopher Walken in it. I would probably never have given that song a second listen had I simply heard it on the radio but since I liked the video and watched it a couple of times the song ended up growing on me a little.

Interesting question, a good video will definitely enhance my thoughts on the song. Your example of Thriller by Michael Jackson did make me realize that some videos over the years made such an impression on me that I ended up giving the song or artist more of a chance than I may otherwise have before seeing the video. A more recent example of that for me was when I watched the video for Weapon of Choice by Fatboy Slim, with Christopher Walken in it. I would probably never have given that song a second listen had I simply heard it on the radio but since I liked the video and watched it a couple of times the song ended up growing on me a little.

Ah so there probably is some truth to it. I guess another example would be backing tracks on movies too - if the movie was great then maybe subliminally it would make viewers think the song was great too? Whereas potentially if you just heard the track on the radio you'd never have given it a 2nd thought

• My Little Pony

I was gonna flat out say no, but then I actually thought about it. I don't know of a music video that turned me off a song -- there are videos I hate, though -- but there are songs that I may never have listened to, otherwise.

Case in point (I'm gonna catch soooooooo much flak for this):

Justin Beiber's "Sorry."

The girls are too fine, and now I love hearing the song, because I immediately picture the girl in green (with my name misspelled on her back ;}) dancing.

• My Little Pony

A more recent example of that for me was when I watched the video for Weapon of Choice by Fatboy Slim, with Christopher Walken in it. I would probably never have given that song a second listen had I simply heard it on the radio but since I liked the video and watched it a couple of times the song ended up growing on me a little.

Great example.

I was gonna flat out say no, but then I actually thought about it. I don't know of a music video turned me off a song -- there are videos I hate, though -- but there are songs that I may never have listened to, otherwise.

Case in point (I'm gonna soooooooo much flak for this):

Justin Beiber's "Sorry."

The girls are too fine, and now I love hearing the song, because I immediately picture the girl in green (with my name misspelled on her back ;}) dancing.

Hahaha that's so cool! Talking of the Biebs I saw a really cool video by him (at least I think it was by him) ....and now I can't remember the title so can't find it :pc: It had words written on the pavement and on steps etc and a girl walking along who would keep erasing the words by some clever camera trickery. Man that is sooo gonna bug me now!

I never really listened to music along with their videos much until recently. Normally I'd put it on youtube or whatever but minimise the screen so I was listening to the music while getting on with something else.

I know if I hate an advert (like some of those cheesy comparison site or horrendous furniture store ones) but they use a track I like on it as background it can kill it for me. It shouldn't, but it does (at least for a while until I can get the connection between the ad and the music out of my head). They've done it with a couple of classical pieces from Mozart's Requiem and Faure's Pavane the evil @!xxx!

My mum was a bit cautious with what we could watch when growing up so most videos from bands I love I'd totally missed seeing till recently. Must admit some of the Duran Duran ones were a bit of an eye opener!

Two bieber videos in a row.

You two should be ashamed of yourselves.

Haha, but at least it turns out that it is the same song! (Which I still wouldn't be able to identify if I heard it again I don't think)

Sometimes the wrong video can break an entire career. See: Billy Squier, "Rock Me Tonite" ;)

Sometimes the wrong video can break an entire career. See: Billy Squier, "Rock Me Tonite" ;)

O.M.G!!!! That is hilarious. The song isn't that bad, but that video was traumatic!

Surely it was tongue in cheek?

• 2023 Gold Donors

Found this on youtube where he talks about it, is pretty interesting his views on music videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiJ2TYRm1u4

Thanks for that. Probably the best example for this topic.

I've wondered what his "defense" of this video would be ever since i saw it.

I dunno, he seems to be blaming everyone else and although i'm sure artists are under enormous pressure from labels and management, he still has no excuse for allowing that one. He seemed to focus on the concept, which was fine. I wanted to know what on earth possessed him to dance around like a peanut. That was the reason the video has received so much ridicule over the years, not the concept or set design.

Found this on youtube where he talks about it, is pretty interesting his views on music videoshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiJ2TYRm1u4

Thanks for that. Probably the best example for this topic.

I wanted to know what on earth possessed him to dance around like a peanut. That was the reason the video has received so much ridicule over the years, not the concept or set design.

The dancing was truly horrendous!

I did have sympathy for him though in the sense that surely it should have been the company that made the video that got the flak and suffered loss of business rather than him. He's a musician and did his job well.

Shame though cos it's unlikely I'd be able to listen to that song now without seeing those awful moves.

I honestly thought he was a different genre musician making fun of AOR when I saw it

I think in the case of the Gorillaz it definitely helped

Are all of their videos good then? Or are there any particularly standout ones?

I only know the older ones, from the debut album. People were crazy about them and the album and singles sold well because of the new concept of a virtual cartoon band. I recently listened to those songs again and it's for the most part style over substance as the songs haven't aged very well. The videos I remember are ''Clint Eastwood'', ''19-2000'' and ''Rock The House''

I only know the older ones, from the debut album. People were crazy about them and the album and singles sold well because of the new concept of a virtual cartoon band. I recently listened to those songs again and it's for the most part style over substance as the songs haven't aged very well. The videos I remember are ''Clint Eastwood'', ''19-2000'' and ''Rock The House''

Cheers simo. I'll give them a look :nerd:

Cheers simo. I'll give them a look :nerd:

I was 12 years old at the time and thought it was really cool. Great marketing I guess :D

• My Little Pony

So truu. They just released a new album, but does any of their old stuff even get played anymore?

So truu. They just released a new album, but does any of their old stuff even get played anymore?

Yeah, saw the new album too which is why I listened to some of the old stuff again. Not gonna listen to the new album though, samples sound absolutely horrific

....but does any of their old stuff even get played anymore?

I sure don't think it will in my house having just given Clint Eastwood and Rock the House a quick listen. Pretty sure even multiple listens wouldn't convert me to liking them.

Can see the appeal of the videos though :tumbsup:

I sure don't think it will in my house having just given Clint Eastwood and Rock the House a quick listen. Pretty sure even multiple listens wouldn't convert me to liking them.

Which proves that a good video can totally ''make'' a song, or at least get people to buy the music even if it isn't good :D hahahaha

Which proves that a good video can totally ''make'' a song, or at least get people to buy the music even if it isn't good :D hahahaha

Yaaay, you're right!!

Ha, that Billy Squire thing is hilarious. I don't know who the guy or the song is, but just catching up on what happened at the time and watching the video... lol. It's amusing.

Anyway, to answer this question... in 2017, no. I don't really think videos carry much weight at all anymore. Back when MTV was a thing, yeah, sure, videos probably carried a lot of influence on what people thought of the songs overall.

End of the day, though, the art of listening to a song through your stereo - in any case - will always far outweigh the amount of times you might sit down to watch it's video, so I still think a good song will remain a good song regardless of the video.

And Karpetface, if the shit in that Bieber video is what turns you on, no wonder you've handed your balls and penis to Jesus. You shan't be needing them anytime soon. If I turned that video on with an erection I'm pretty sure my penis would snap due to how quickly it inverted itself as I immediately became un-aroused.