Poor Toykyo Dome Start

nyoilers

• 2023 Gold Donors

While I realize that CD sales are in decline and such,it still surprised me that Van Halen's live CD had a debut of #20 on Billboard 's top 200 and then the next week fell to #60.With all the promotion they did by going on as many talk shows as they could I thought a top 10 showing would happen..

While I realize that CD sales are in decline and such,it still surprised me that Van Halen's live CD had a debut of #20 on Billboard 's top 200 and then the next week fell to #60.With all the promotion they did by going on as many talk shows as they could I thought a top 10 showing would happen..

You're forgetting that they sound like shit on the album ... :(

• My Little Pony

You're forgetting that they sound like shit on the album ... :(

Yeah, and considering that's all that anyone will say about that album, it makes sense that sales would die.

There are two factors at work here.

A. People don't give a sh*t about buying CDs anymore.

and

B. People give even less of a sh*t about buying useless live CDs.

• 2023 Gold Donors

While I agree that CD buying is down and DLR's voice sounds bad,they still did a lot of promoting.I heard in LA when they were on Jimmy Kimmel that the streets were crowded with people to hear them play.

While I agree that CD buying is down and DLR's voice sounds bad,they still did a lot of promoting.I heard in LA when they were on Jimmy Kimmel that the streets were crowded with people to hear them play.

And there you have it ... as has been said elsewhere, with Van Halen (particularly with DLR at the helm), it's all about the show. I'd still pay money to see them in concert (although the chances of them EVER playing the UK again are on the far side of remote), or I'd think about picking up a live DVD, but I wouldn't want to sit through a live album from the current line-up.

When I think about my favourite live albums, they all come from a certain point in time - Thin Lizzy, UFO, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Motorhead, Blue Oyster Cult ... all bands at the top of their game, before the days when EVERYTHING was filmed and stuck on the internet, and there was a real excitement about hearing your favourite songs performed in front of a crowd (or, in Priest's case, performed in front of a crowd, and then over-dubbed to within an inch of their lives!)

What annoys me about some releases is i hear the live album and think wow i must get that on DVD but the DVD is different to the CD :( Live After Death and Pink Floyd's Pulse are both like that and the DVD's just don't live up the CD's.

Anyways you guys are really selling Tokyo Dome to me really well :)