Daughtry - Baptized

Stefan

I guess I'm in the minority.... my opinion is "meh."

Musically it's solid, but...

1. Chorus would be so much better if there were backing vox. Without that, it's about 3 notches where it needs to be.

2. I simply cannot abide the country twang in the lead vocals. I hate it. In the way that heavy Scandinavian/German/Austrian/Swiss accents bother some people, that's what excessive redneck twang does to me. *BLEAGH!!*

I have to say I dig it plenty. Very nice tune.

I agree his discs have all been quite good so far and I can't really see this one being any different. Very good consistent artist.

I probably wouldn't have thought about it otherwise, but I after reading Dan's post before hearing it, I guess I could agree that a nice little harmony backing vocal track during the chorus would not have gone astray. But I do still like it as it is... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Artwork for 'Baptized':

BWOQWpZIQAAEckJ.jpg

Tracklisting:

1. "Baptized"

2. "Waiting for Superman"

3. "Battleships"

4. "I'll Fight"

5. "Wild Heart"

6. "Long Live Rock & Roll"

7. "The World We Knew"

8. "High Above the Ground"

9. "Broken Arrows"

10. "Witness"

11. "Traitor"

12. "18 Years"

Deluxe edition bonus tracks

13. "Undefeated"

14. "Cinderella"

15. "Battleships" (Acoustic)

16. "Waiting for Superman" (Acoustic)

17. "I'll Fight" (Acoustic)

18. "Wild Heart" (Acoustic)

19. "Baptized" (Acoustic)

20. "Long Live Rock & Roll" (Piano version)

I'm a Daughtry fan, but "Long Live Rock & Roll" is not sitting well with me. Why couldn't it have been a rock song? Why would you sing "long live big guitars" in a song with no big guitars? It's an acoustic, campfire type of song, which I enjoy, but I feel like this one came together all wrong. My friend said it best, this sounds like a funeral for rock music.

• 3 weeks later...

Been spinning this all day today and i'm well impressed with it. It is a little lighter and has that 'New' country'ish tinge to a couple of tracks, but it is generally a really strong album. Maybe not quite up to the standards of 'Break The Spell' but it has some great songs on it. My picks: 'Waiting for Superman', 'Battleships', 'I'll Fight', 'The World We Knew', 'Broken Arrows', '18 Years' & 'Undefeated'.

I'll try to explain my point, but I am mega disappointed with this one - probably the most disappointed of any album this year. But the songs are all very good, you correctly say! Every song has a great catchy chorus, with well written, big hooks in each tune, you correctly say! And song for song, it's arguably his most consistent album yet, you arguably say.

So why does it frustrate the hell out of me?

Because the ma'fukker just never "takes off." Every single song just floats, or lingers if you will, in the same freakin' spot. On almost every single tune you're just waiting, praying, for the drums, guitars and band to just say hi, and drop in. But every song is the same... just holding back with that same stripped, refrained vibe, with no real visit from the band at all.

Like I say, the quality of the songs are good and each song on it's own is very good - but as an album it just annoyed the shit out of me and I spent a full album's worth of songs just waiting for it to "rock," for lack of a better world. It seems to be the way modern rock bands go, but it's sad to see Daughtry not utilize his band at all on this one... :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just saw this thread and thought I'd chime in on this album. I have to say I pretty much agree with Geoff....

I'll say I've been a big Daughtry fan and have really enjoyed all his albums before Baptized. His style was pretty much commercial rock and I was okay with that...

I say "was" because to me, this new album I really don't see much "rock". Frankly, One Direction might rock more than Daughtry does on this album.

I was excited about this album...even pre-ordered it which I rarely do anymore. Boy, was I disappointed. This album sounds like it was done with Daughtry laying some vocals over a bunch of computer generated backing tracks (which I'm pretty sure was actually the case).

The beginning of the album is okay....But Battleships starts to lose me with all the Boom Boom nonsense. I'll Fight and Wild Heart are okay...And it would be fine if they were sorta the change of pace tracks for some heavier tracks...But what follows basically just sticks a fork in me and turns it...

Long Live Rock N Roll is okay...But I really don't like the idea of singing about the history of rock n roll with some acoustic, almost Country sounding type of song. However, this again would be fine if it was a change of pace song for some bigger rocking songs...However, what follows is a string of ballads which pretty much kill the rest of the album for me and the end of the album doesn't recover. Although honestly, I have a hard time even making it to the end. I bought the Deluxe version with the bonus tracks and they don't do anything to help either....pretty much only add to the misery.

Overall, this album is just missing the type of rock songs that Daughtry has been doing. I mean...we weren't talking about real heavy rock songs to begin with...But this album is basically a total departure IMO. I honestly put it away about a week after I got it and doubt I'll ever the slightest urge to pull it out again. I just really don't like the direction that was taken on this album. It's basically a pop album in my opinion that should be categorized with somebody like Maroon 5.

Not that there is anything wrong with that music...It's just not what I listen to and not what I was expecting.

Safe to say I won't be buying the next Daughtry album sight unseen....If at all.

I'll try to explain my point, but I am mega disappointed with this one - probably the most disappointed of any album this year. But the songs are all very good, you correctly say! Every song has a great catchy chorus, with well written, big hooks in each tune, you correctly say! And song for song, it's arguably his most consistent album yet, you arguably say.

So why does it frustrate the hell out of me?

Because the ma'fukker just never "takes off." Every single song just floats, or lingers if you will, in the same freakin' spot. On almost every single tune you're just waiting, praying, for the drums, guitars and band to just say hi, and drop in. But every song is the same... just holding back with that same stripped, refrained vibe, with no real visit from the band at all.

Like I say, the quality of the songs are good and each song on it's own is very good - but as an album it just annoyed the shit out of me and I spent a full album's worth of songs just waiting for it to "rock," for lack of a better world. It seems to be the way modern rock bands go, but it's sad to see Daughtry not utilize his band at all on this one... :(

• 1 month later...