China Sky - II (new album 25 years after debut)

Stefan

10945797_316105311912852_797151355581046

From FB:

Hey kids! I know it has been quiet on the China Sky page for the last few weeks, but we have been buckling down in anticipation of today's announcement: THE FIRST NEW CHINA SKY ALBUM IN 25 YEARS IS NOW COMPLETE, AND WE ARE PROUD TO ANNOUNCE THAT CHINA SKY HAS SIGNED WITH UK-BASED ESCAPE MUSIC LTD. FOR WORLDWIDE DISTRIBUTION OF DIGITAL DOWNLOADS, AND PHYSICAL MEDIA IN EUROPE AND JAPAN. Tentative release date for the album is January 21

China Sky tracklist (in no particular order):

One Life
The Road Not Taken
Enemy
I'm A Survivor
You'll Get Yours
The Darkness
I Believe In You
Give It Up
I Wish I Could Fly
You're Not Alone
The Richest Man In The World
Dreams I'll Never See

Stay tuned as we will have more exciting announcements coming this week! We appreciate your patience as we have spent hundreds of hours over the past two years making this album, and we could not be more excited that our efforts are about to come to fruition!

http://chinaskymusic.com/

Sounds great! Looking forward to this one.

Just wish I had hair like those guys instead of my Scorpions hair style.

• My Little Pony

Bloody great song that 'One Life'. Could be a good kick off to the new year this one.

I'm not sure we heard the same song. I mean, it was good, but it definitely didn't make me spunk all over my monitor as it appeared to have done for you.

So I'm clear, the original guitarist left the band to play with Molly Hatchet? What a shame - sounds like he basically single handedly ruined the band and their hopes for making a mark.

Well, one thing's for sure - those new dudes won't be winning any beauty contests, but the new song sounds okay-ish. Kind of average to be honest. Probably not something I'd keep in my collection. But I'll hope for better than that if I'm to enjoy the disc.

This is a real surprise for me......There were a few tracks off the self titled that pulled my chain......I really liked what I heard on the track here, "One Life". I've got this one added to my "to get list".....

The real talent is missing.

I never heard the first album, but would it have been nothing without him?

Go get it, unbelievable album and the price has really come down on it because of a re-issue. Without Bobby Ingram this may suck, I could be wrong.

Shit sounds pretty good, for me they were an acquired taste, they were extremely soft for me at the time, and as times gone on, Ive learned to appreciate that ST disc more and more, Ive always enjoyed the unique and one of a kind sound of the vocals, he really has one of those special voices, Only The Young has been an auto favorite since the day I heard it, but the rest of the songs, like I said, have been acquired, and I do appreciate it now, and I can't wait to get this disc.

• 2 weeks later...

From FB:

Ok. We have a firm release date for the record! We were hoping to get it out in January, but due to manufacturing schedules, and to help maximize the promotional cycle, the release date will be FEBRUARY 21st! Mark your calendar.

After talking with some music industry people, and in light of some recent articles on the state of the music business, we feel it is important that the listening public know that on the new China Sky album, there is NO Autotune, NO programmed sequences, NO artificial anything of any kind. The performances you hear were played and sung by actual musicians, and have not been altered in any way. How many current recording acts today can say that?

• 2 months later...

Initial spins and I am left a little disappointed. I wasn't expecting the heady heights of the debut, but this comes nowhere near if i'm honest in all departments. 'One Life' is still an excellent song for me and kicks off the album really well, but it is the best one on show and the album doesn't really get going after that. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly not a bad album and has some goodish songs on show, but it doesn't exactly excite me that much either. I shall spin it some more and maybe it will grow on me a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...

I basically feel exactly the same about the new album, but the only difference with me is that it actually exceeded expectations, if I'm being completely honest. I did not expect anything from this, and was actually surprised to hear about five pretty decent songs on it. Initial rating for it is 65%.

I must say, though, I was listening to the debut today and whilst I like it very much, these guys were never real champions of the genre for me. Their songs, whilst mostly very nice, were all soooo cheesy too. So cheesy, that I always had it in my head, for some reason, that these guys were a christian band. Don't ask me why! I think it was partly because of the guy in the band with a moustache and an almost-mullet. Jeez that guy looks like an 80's rock christian. Or was it just their super, super corny song subjects and titles ('Last romantic warrior' zomfg!). I dunno, I definitely like the debut a lot, but it's not my all-time fave. good, fun listening, though.

It's a safe record, harmless rock I can say, worse than the debut but like Geoff, I'm not entirely blown away by their debut. I like it but didn't get the chance for some frequent spins. As for this one, 75% or slightly below will suffice

• 4 months later...

This is a pretty good cover of the Allman Bros./ Molly Hatchet classic. One of the better tunes of the 2nd China Skyalbum

• 2 months later...