NEWMAN - ST [Re-Recorded +4] (2014)

AlphaMale

from 0dayrox2:

NEWMAN%2B-%2BST%2B%5BRe-Recorded%2B%2B4%

After over 15 years of hard work and a series of quality albums, Steve Newman has established himself as a highly respected name among the Melodic Rock / AOR fans. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since his self-titled debut back in 1997, so with the album long out of print he and his band NEWMAN have taken advantage of the advances in studio technology since them to re-record the album.

So, here we are today, 2014, and NEWMAN has re-recorded their first album, offering the chance to fans not only to complete the Newman collection, but to listen to these songs in a new shape, mastered with new technology, and added bonus tracks that were written at the time of the original sessions.

The material from the first album is more straight ahead in style than Neman's more recent adventurous releases. Broadly the songs fall into two categories; classic, bouncy British AOR in the mould of FM or Shy, such as on the opener "If It’s Love" which is still a live favourite to this day, "Let Your Heart Rule Your Head" and the keyboard driven "That Kind Of Girl"

The other style, which will probably appeal more to present-day Newman fans, is in a series of rocking, moodier, more atmospheric pieces, notably the lush ballad "Say You Believe", "Faith" whose spacious feel shows off his deep vocal style perfectly, and the great "Tears Are Not Enough" which closed the original album. I like both styles in this new refreshed, energetic yet melodic versions.

For added value the original 10 tracks on the album are accompanied by 4 bonus tracks penned at the same period but never recorded and previously unreleased. All these are really good tunes, mixing the smooth AOR melodies of mid-tempo "Crush On You" (love the keyboards), with cool riffs as heard on the bluesy rocker "Backdoor Man". "Love By Design" adds a slightly funkier feel to the rocking riff, while the elegant AOR ballad "Stand Up" reminds you of masters Strangeways.

"Newman ST 2014" is Classic British AOR / Melodic Rock made with style, next to Strangeways, FM & Airrace, now re-recorded with a very good production and offering 4 good previously unreleased tracks.

This is a Limited Edition, CD only release (500 copies), so hurry up, there's few still available at AOR Heaven Records.

EASILY RECOMMENDED.

01. If It's Love
02. A Million Men
03. Say You Believe
04. What Does It Take
05. Faith
06. Let Your Heart Rule
07. When I Wake Up
08. That Kind Of Girl
09. I Know You
10. Tears Are Not Enough
11. Backdoor Man (Bonus Track) *
12. Crush On You (Bonus Track) *
13. Love By Design (Bonus Track) *
14. Stand Up (Bonus Track) *

* Previously Unreleased

Steve Newman - Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Keyboards
Shaun Bessant - Guitar
Paul Boyle - Keyboards, Backing Vocals
Pete Newdeck, Rob McEwen - Drums, Backing Vocals

BUY IT !
aorheaven.com/pages/ooze/ooze_sounds.php?3131

This has been about the album I've wanted to hear most this year which I've not been able to get my ears on. I'm so keen I almost forked out the small fortune to buy direct from his site. Maybe one day...

• My Little Pony

AOR Heaven needs a serious website redesign; it's terrible. Anyway, while does this album have two price points?

AOR Heaven needs a serious website redesign; it's terrible. Anyway, while does this album have two price points?

On AOR Heaven? There's usually one price for locals with tax on it, and one for international customers without tax. At least that's how I remember it. We're the "cheaper" one, without tax.

Speaking of AOR Heaven, I bought the last Amaze Me CD for about eu$2.60 as well as Farraday for dirt cheap, and Sapphire Eyes was a good price also. And there was one more I forget...

• 1 month later...

Can anyone comment on the re recordings on this? Is there much improvement in quality? This is the only Newman album I don't own as it became a little hard to find at a normal price.

I can't remember the ins and outs of the original too well to be honest ,as I only ever had a CDR... but the new version is very well produced in typical recent Newman style. And for the record, one of the bonus tracks 'Crush on you' is one of my favourite Newman songs.

I can't remember the ins and outs of the original too well to be honest ,as I only ever had a CDR... but the new version is very well produced in typical recent Newman style. And for the record, one of the bonus tracks 'Crush on you' is one of my favourite Newman songs.

Great I'll have to put this on the want list.

It completely slaughters the original in every way shape and form, plus the extra tracks too. A definite must have in my opinion

It completely slaughters the original in every way shape and form, plus the extra tracks too. A definite must have in my opinion

I agree with this.

Thanks dudes. Will be getting this for sure.