Serpentine - Circle Of Knives

Stefan

905975_10153066606051354_554599560337366

From FB (September 12th):

That's it! Three years ago this month we released Living & Dying in High Definition and now finally...(finally!)...the recording of Serpentine's third album was completed late last night by Chris Gould and Gary Hughes! Now over to the awesome Neil Kernon in Chicago to mix this thing! Stay tuned...

Does that mean Mills is no longer a part of this band? Not to be harsh, but that will be great for them.

Serpentine:

Adam Payne - Vocals

Chris Gould - Lead and Rhythm Guitar

Gareth David Noon - Keyboards

Owen Crawford - Bass Guitar

Roy Millward - Drums

Nice. That last album had potential but I feel like Mills hurt it more than added to it. Assuming this guy's got a decent voice, I'll be interested to hear how they go without him.

Have to agree with Jez. Not a fan at all

I shouldn't pre judge an album I know, but generally going by the first two releases, you pretty much know where a band are coming from and what it is going to sound like (insert band name here. as Serpentine are certainly not the only ones) . In this day and age in the AOR/MR arena with bands like HEAT, WOA, Vega, Care Of Night, W.E.T etc the benchmark has been set very high and all the others, what I like to call B' list bands (no disrespect intended), rarely or never for me come up to scratch . it's probably not fair on the band after all the effort they put in and maybe I've been listening to this type of stuff for too long, as I find it increasingly infuriating and difficult to get excited about many of the bands that peddle this sort of stuff these days

I do definitely agree, but I do feel that the 2nd was an improvement from the first, and that with a more inspiring vocalist it would have been okay.

100% agree they are worlds away from the top of the genre (you already put Care of Night up there based on a little EP? Brave, my man) but with this new singer it could be decent, I hope.

• 4 months later...

I kinda liked their previous releases but, man, that sounds so cheap.

... and I just saw why, and know why it sounds exactly like Ten. Looks like Gary Hughes is producing this, which basically means it'll sound like shit. Shame, because some of the actual songs sound okay. Others just sound like weak Ten songs.

• 1 month later...

Now, that's a funny looking band with a grotesque video and boring song.

:lol: That just about covers all bases. Holy shit this sounds different to their first two albums. I thought the first two were decent but probably pretty average at best. Hearing this makes me kind of crave their old sound.

• 2 months later...

I kinda liked their previous releases but, man, that sounds so cheap.

Yeah, I loved the second album, but this is a bit average. The latest tune (courtesy of Stefan) seems pretty good, very commercial, but a nice, mellow rock song. "Season Of The Witch" is pretty poor, but the guitar solo is OK.

For the most part, to me this sounded like a Ten album. Thankfully, it's a lot better than Ten's current album, but it's still overall quite average.

• 3 months later...

Where's Gary Hughes in that film clip? ;) I agree it's a pretty cool song. As I hinted above, this is the best Ten album they have released in a long while. Even if it wasn't actually released as a Ten album. Still not great, but the best they've done for a long time.