Billy Idol - Kings & Queens Of The Underground

Stefan

11058673_803025019767727_219661076448284

I've always liked Billy Idol and now he's back with a newie, produced by the mighty Trevor Horn.

Great stuff!

billyidol.net

facebook.com/BillyIdol

BIalbumart.png

Tracklist:

1. Bitter Pill
2. Can’t Break Me Down
3. Save Me Now
4. One Breath Away
5. Postcards From The Past
6. Kings & Queens Of The Underground
7. Eyes Wide Shut
8. Ghosts In My Guitar
9. Nothing To Fear
10. Love And Glory
11. Whiskey And Pills

Never even remotely been a fan, but some of those samples there sound kind of catchy. Might even check this one out.

the rockers are great, but most of it is too laid back for me.

Idol's best tunes are the ones with killer Steve Stevens guitar solos. I'm not finding them on this one. Yeah, it's a little too mellow.

I like the rockier stuff that he does (although I appreciate that he can't just keep recycling 'Rebel Yell' over and over again), but I might give this one a listen. That said, I saw him with Bon Jovi at Milton Keynes YEARS ago, and he was bloody awful, so there's a part of me that wants to give this a wide berth!

I heard it and it's okay. I've never liked his voice and am still not a fan, but there's some cool tunes on here. I enjoyed it enough until about track 8 or 9 when the album ends on a pretty weak note with a bunch of weak songs at the end. But overall, this album is okay. Better than I thought I'd ever heard from Idol.

Brilliant album from start to finish. A good mix of stuff on here from the very retro lead single 'Can't Break Me Down' through to the awesome 'Postcards From The Past', which is very 'Rebel Yell' part 2, and the more mellow stuff, which is top quality too, especially 'Ghosts In My Guitar' and 'Love And Glory'. Good to see Steve Stevens back on here with a few lovely flourishes throughout the album aswell. 'Devils Playground' was a great comeback album, but this one is even better and his best album since 'Rebel Yell' back in the 80's

While overall its nowhere near as good as Devils playground for me, its still a great album and probably my second favourite of his as his older albums I always found somewhat patchy.

Yes there is a brace of slower songs on this, which at first I was annoyed with, but the more I listen to it, the better it gets. Not a bad song on the whole album, and there are some songs that I will be listening to regularly on my mix playlist for years to come.

Whats great about this album is that it has the right pacing. By finishing a very autobiographical album with a killer rocker like Whiskey and pills just screams "I aint done yet".

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I picked this one up after seeing him in concert and he played a song or two from it and they sounded ok.
The songs I took away from the album are

Can't Break Me Down
Save Me Now
Postcards From The Past
Kings & Queens Of The Underground
Eyes Wide Shut

Not a bad effort, and overall a great album.