Should downloadable EPs/albums be added?

Yes they should. Unfortunately this is what some bands are doing these days. We can't forget about them just because they didn't release a CD. Or maybe we should foret about them, to teach them a lesson.

I think they should too.

But in saying that, are "our" bands doing this too now? If so, who?

I know this is a HUGE thing in modern rock now. Most of my favourite albums from last year were download only, and even a few of this year's are too. But what is also all the rage these days appears to be these established bands (Quietdrive, Funeral For A Friend, Silverstein, Just Surrender for some big name examples) who are signed to labels and release physical CDs, but then inbetween they throw out a digital only EP between albums. It's hard to find a modern rock band now who hasn't done this. Didn't know it had seeped into melodic rock / glam / AOR stuff, though. :(

Yes they should. Unfortunately this is what some bands are doing these days. We can't forget about them just because they didn't release a CD. Or maybe we should foret about them, to teach them a lesson.

just like we forget all those who recorded on vinyl and cassette only.

doesn't worry me either way, but it a valid query.

and how about older albums, maybe only originally availalbe on cd or vinyl, that are now availalbe digitally....

Hrmm... I'm of mixed emotions on this one. On the one hand, digital has become a valid disribbution medium, but on the other it's not a tangible, physical item, which is kinda what the whole collecting mindset revolves around. It's not an actual release... really.

Here's a question: Do industry sales charts include digital-only releases with physical media or do they have their own separate chart?

Then there's the mechanics of listing those items. While some have "artwork" created by the band, some do not. Do we come up with a generic "DIGITAL" image to take the place of cover art for those that don't have it?

One thing that I don't like about digital-only releases is that they seem to spawn home-grown entrepreneurs selling CDRs of the download on eBay under the guise of being a real release. That ends up muddying the waters...

Good discussion though. :)

-Dan

• 2 years later...

I'm against adding anything else than proper cd releases on the main site unless stated otherwise. It should be mentioned in the listing if it's a download only or a cd-r.

For example the latest release from Shotgun Alley (Dying To Survive), it was only available as a free download from their website. So it should be marked as a download.

Or maybe the headline 'CD I own' should be changed to 'Titles I own'.

Just my opinion...

I would vote no. The site is for cd collectors. Once you start with digital downloads you might as well include tapes, records and 8 tracks as well. Just my two cents.

• My Little Pony

Is this site an archive for the CDs that pertain to our favourite genre, or is it an archive for the genre itself? Is it a site for collecting purposes, or archival purposes? I would be okay with the addition of vinyl, tape, Digital-only releases, and perhaps we could also list all the available formats for each album. Only listing "Digital" if it is, in fact, only available in Digital format, because it's safe to assume most titles are available in a Digital format.

CDs. Not vinyl. Not cassettes. Not 8-tracks. Not MiniDiscs.

No.

Hmmm...so why is the last work of Shotgun Alley listed on the main pages? :whistle:

I should have quoted Karpetryder's post above, as that is what I was replying to. Specifically, the notion of adding vinyl, cassettes, 8-tracks, etc.

Download-only albums/EPS, I'm still torn on. There are more and more "download only" releases happening. Do we omit them or include them but with an indication that it was a download, not a physical release?

As to the Shotgun Alley release, at the very least it needs a disclaimer, which I have added to the page.

I've gone ahead and started a poll on this topic in the main site feedback forum.