Favorite song: Wildside - "Under the Influence" (1992)

Wildside - "Under the Influence"  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

undertheinfluence.jpg

Another greatly underrated album from the early 90's. Now these guys should've been HUGE! This album just kicks ass...It's too bad that it was released in'92 and not a few years earlier...it might've done better.

So what's your favorite song off it??

Again, this is very hard for me to pick, because it's just amazing from beginning to end. IMO

But if I had to pick just one, it would be the ballad, "Just Another Night". :bowdown:

And a few other favorites that would follow that; "So Far Away", "Feels Like Love" and "Hang On Lucy".

"Hang On Lucy" followed by the ballad "Just Another Night". I agree, greatly unappreciated!!

Another one of my favs from the early 90's and another band that should of gotten more than they did but unfortunately they came out to late. Like most it's a tough pick to choose a fav song but today it's "How Many Lies". Other favs would be "Hang on Lucy", "So Far Away", the criminally underrated "Lad in Sin" and the two ballads that could of been huge hit singles "Just Another Night" and "Kiss this Love Goodbye".

Another one of my favs from the early 90's and another band that should of gotten more than they did but unfortunately they came out to late. Like most it's a tough pick to choose a fav song but today it's "How Many Lies". Other favs would be "Hang on Lucy", "So Far Away", the criminally underrated "Lad in Sin" and the two ballads that could of been huge hit singles "Just Another Night" and "Kiss this Love Goodbye".

I almost went with "How Many Lies" but switched to "Hang On Lucy" at the last minute. What a great album, one of my favorites, and one of those rare discs where I don't skip over any tracks. It's excellence is only matched by the suckiness of their follow up s/t.

I almost went with "How Many Lies" but switched to "Hang On Lucy" at the last minute. What a great album, one of my favorites, and one of those rare discs where I don't skip over any tracks. It's excellence is only matched by the suckiness of their follow up s/t.

Backed 100%!

Backed 100%!

Very true. :tumbsup:

Thanks to Rick for a hook up for an original copy of this cd. Awesome disk. Agree with Pete that no tunes get skipped on this one.

Hang on Lucy for me. Kick ass tune on a kick ass album. :banger:

Thanks to Rick for a hook up for an original copy of this cd. Awesome disk. Agree with Pete that no tunes get skipped on this one.

The only song that I could see be categorized as filler would be "Monkey See Monkey Do", but hell I even like that tune. :tumbsup:

The only song that I could see be categorized as filler would be "Monkey See Monkey Do", but hell I even like that tune. :tumbsup:

Same here, that's the only one I skip.

Release this 2 or 3 years earlier and it would've rocketed up the charts the way certain parts of Geoff's anatomy rocket up his pants when he looks at naked armadillos. I always thought the lead singer had an Axel Rose vibe to his voice, but the music was far superior to anything GNR ever put out. Just a totally kickass, full-throttle hard rock release.

As others have said, not really a bad song on this album, but I've always been partial to the opening ripping rock of "Hang on Lucy." But damn, you could pretty much pick any of 'em. Rockers & ballads were equally good.

That second album though...my god, what were they thinking?? :puke:

I agree with many; a legitimate near-perfect album. 'Monkey See Monkey Do' is also the only song I don't adore, but the rest are amazing. Of that batch, I'd have to chose 'Looks like love', with 'Hang on Lucy' not far behind. Damn I love this disc.

• 7 years later...

I agree with many; a legitimate near-perfect album. 'Monkey See Monkey Do' is also the only song I don't adore, but the rest are amazing. Of that batch, I'd have to chose 'Looks like love', with 'Hang on Lucy' not far behind. Damn I love this disc.

... apart from the production job.

Yep, Hi. It's me again. The guy who hates shit production jobs. Just like Valentine and Every Mother's Nightmare, these guys were signed to a major label, recorded albums in or after 1990 (when everyone else sounded absolutely amazing) and they managed to have their album poorly produced. Why???

I was listening to this album on Friday in great detail and the production job was actually destroying me. In a nutshell, it sounds like an AOR producer producing a hard rock album, and it's just weak. The drum production/recording on this album is the real killer - just terrible. Songs like 'Hang On Lucy' and 'Lad In Sin' deserve to sound like something from 'Slave to the grind,' yet they sound like something from FM's 'Indiscreet' instead.

I look at some of what Andy Johns has produced, and admittedly, none of it is "amazingly" produced, but it's all pretty solid. The list (according to wikipedia) reads a bit like this, in part;

Night Songs - Cinderella (1986)
Perfect Timing - McAuley Schenker Group (1987)
Loud and Clear - Autograph (1987)
Long Cold Winter - Cinderella (1988)
Four Winds - Tangier (1989)
Sahara - House of Lords (1990)
Dirty Weapons - Killer Dwarfs (1990)
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge - Van Halen (1991)
Under the Influence - Wildside (1992)
The Extremist - Joe Satriani (1992)
Highcentered - Doug Aldrich (1993)
Time Machine - Joe Satriani (1993)
Waking the Dead - L.A. Guns (2002)
Rips the Covers Off - L.A. Guns (2004)
Tales from the Strip - L.A. Guns (2005)
Chickenfoot - Chickenfoot (2009) [7]
Hollywood Forever - L.A. Guns (2012)
I guess from that list he's a competent producer otherwise, but if you look at the rest of 1992 and how good albums sounded by then, this one falls well short. I just don't understand why the drums sound so pathetic. For me, the entire production job could have been turned around by finding the balls in the drum kit. Simple fix. But instead, as I say, it sounds like a hard rock album produced by a lite AOR producer.
For the record, I still absolutely love this album, but it could have been near-perfect with a good production job.

I have the Jap copy of it and I think the production could have been better but don't think it's terrible at all.

Voted for 'Hang on Lucy' but the closest thing to it are 'Hair of The Dog' and 'Clock Strikes'.