Ozone - Self Defence

Stefan

11011222_10153769184793488_8004843095825

From Escape Music:

Chris Ousey: Lead Vocals and backing vocals

Chris Ousey has had an excellent singing career that goes way back to the times of “Monroe”, “Virginia Wolf”, the fantastic “Heartland” an outstanding solo recording and more recently “Snakecharmer”. He is nicknamed “The man with the golden tonsils” and that is a fine accolade indeed for he has earned it. His effortless vocal range has gained him a top spot in the world of classic UK hard rock.

Steve Overland: Vocals and backing vocals

Steve Overland is a legend in his own lifetime. Is there anyone out there who is not familiar with his name? He has a history that goes way back into the late seventies, his first major recording was with the band “Wildlife” in 1980. After the demise of “Wildlife” Steve went on to form the cult British melodic rock band “FM”, a band that released many great albums throughout the eighties and nineties and right up to 2015. Their popularity has always been at the forefront of British Hard Rock. Steve has also fronted many great bands in recent years, such as “The Ladder”, “Shadowman” and of course he has recorded three fine solo albums.

Mike Slamer – Guitars / B3 Organ / Keys / Bass
Tommy Denander – Guitars / Keys / Bass
Ronnie Platt – Backing vocals
Billy Greer – Backing vocals
Kerry Denton – Drums
The Late and sadly missed our dear friend Christian Wolff – Guitars and Keys on “Evolve”
Erik Sabo - B3 organ

All songs written by Chris Ousey, Steve Overland, Mike Slamer and Tommy Denander

The two “O’s” have joined forces on a collaboration that has been whispered for years now and the rumours have all been true as this great union is about to be unleashed on the world. This is just beyond a dream, even the thought that two of the finest melodic rock vocalists in the UK would come together and record an album.

We all know the work of Mike Slamer (City Boy, Streets, and Seventh Key) and his amazing production expertise, well here he outshines all of his previous work with a razor sharp explosion of talent. Mike has a knack of making great music sound even better and this is all the evidence we need. Check out songs like “Smile before you lie” and “Practice what you preach” for superb examples of melodic hard rock. Tommy Denander (Paul Stanley, Alice Cooper, and Radioactive) once again joins forces with Mike as song writer plus sharing guitars, keyboards and bass on many of the songs, and on top of it all you get some great backing vocals from Kansas members Ronnie Platt and Billy Greer just like icing on the cake!

This is an outstanding album and its lives up to the hype: this is a recording that will leave you open jawed and begging for more as it ticks all the boxes and more.

A highlight of 2015 if ever there was one.

Release Date: 25th September 2015
Catalogue Number: ESM281

Track List:

1-Tiger By The Tail 3:38

2- Let The Good Will Out 4:11

3- So Blind 5:31

4-Destiny 3:50

5- Shadow On The Sun 3:32

6- Save My Soul 5:02

7- Evolve 4:27

8- Self Defence 3:42

9- Smile Before You Lie 4:21

10- Lifetime 4:05

11- Practice What You Preach 4:06

12- Visionary Man 4:34

It's funny the spiel is selling Overland and Ousey, yet the only name I see in this entire post is Mike Slamer. This album will sound as good as Slamer makes it sound, and those two guys will be mere voices for his vision. I'll look forward to this as I look forward to every Slamer project.

Maybe so, but they are mightly fine voices which won't ruin the project...thank God.

ALL personnel involved sound awesome, so it sounds exciting to me - just hope the songs are actually good ;-)

Looking forward to this one for sure. Hope it lives up to the names involved

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Tommy Denander has blocked anything AndrewMcNeice or melodicrock.com related to review this album :D

no he hasnt - Escape have ignored his request.

Andrew already has the audio,

Great apparently......but then we knew it would be ;-)

Definitely a release to look forward to!

Nice list of names there, any samples out yet?

Listen to 'Tiger By The Tail' (scroll to 9:30 mark): https://www.mixcloud.com/PlatinumRockRadio/feel-the-steel-with-dawn-paul-nicholls-featuring-new-tracks-from-ozone/

Theres 2 more - a decent sounding ballad at 40 mins and a frantic rocker at about 1hr 45.

All decent but not blowing me away.

'Tiger by the tail' is an okay song with some excellent (as always) Slamer guitarwork.

I like the ballad - sounds like a good strong song.

Last song is an average rocker; okay at best.

Ousey's voice doesn't really gel with me, I liked him when he sang AOR styled tracks with Heartland but believe his voice sounds kinda misplaced in a rock setting

I agree. Never have warmed to his voice.

Ousey's voice doesn't really gel with me, I liked him when he sang AOR styled tracks with Heartland but believe his voice sounds kinda misplaced in a rock setting

I agree. Never have warmed to his voice.

Thirded. I like the Heartland stuff in places (really dig their debut) and he's the voice for that band and that's cool. But outside of that band, not really a fan, I gotta say.

As predicted, the songs just sound like Slamer and some other guys.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...