Tbone / dan need help here

figgy

you better check those stats again , cdbaby takes a hefty cut of the sales.

Taken from their website:

- You set your selling price at whatever you want.

- We keep $4 per CD sold.

- We pay checks every week

I'd HARDLY call $4 a "hefty cut", considered they handle all payment/shipment work for you and all you have to do is send them your stuff and then just sit back and cashing the checks.

PLUS, with them you get GREAT online promotion having a dedicated page on their server (150,000 unique daily hits) with audio samples, artwork, YOUR OWN CUSTOMIZED info, customer reviews, etc. etc.

Sorry, but no one can beat CDBABY when it comes to supporting independent bands! Not even close!

ok fair enough , but you're talking about 95% of the bands on the site that really suck.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok fair enough , but you're talking about 95% of the bands on the site that really suck.

And your aesthetic judgment about the bands has exactly *what* to do with CDBABY's commission?

You're slamming the site, claiming it takes a HUGE cut, then when you get called on it, your response is "well the bands suck."

Please.

:lame:

And your aesthetic judgment about the bands has exactly *what* to do with CDBABY's commission?

You're slamming the site, claiming it takes a HUGE cut, then when you get called on it, your response is "well the bands suck."

Please.

:lame:

Just call it how I see it.

OK guys I didn't mean to start anything here.I'm rather new to collecting.My knowledge of what all the terms mean is rather lacking.This is why I turned to Dan or Tbone or any other helpful hinters to clarify this for me.It wasn't meant as anything negative toward the seller.As far as elementary goes,it's only elementary for the experienced collector,not new comers longing for a little understanding.For everyone who tried to clarify I thank you.Chocularok I understand what you're saying .Thank you for the clarification !

OK guys I didn't mean to start anything here.I'm rather new to collecting.My knowledge of what all the terms mean is rather lacking.This is why I turned to Dan or Tbone or any other helpful hinters to clarify this for me.It wasn't meant as anything negative toward the seller.As far as elementary goes,it's only elementary for the experienced collector,not new comers longing for a little understanding.For everyone who tried to clarify I thank you.Chocularok I understand what you're saying .Thank you for the clarification !

No problem...basic rule of thumb...if the auction description is confusing, a lot of times it's intentional & done for a reason. Best to avoid & look elsewhere. Happy hunting :drink:

No problem...basic rule of thumb...if the auction description is confusing, a lot of times it's intentional & done for a reason. Best to avoid & look elsewhere. Happy hunting :drink:

I'll keep that thought in heart.Thanks again !

People who may not look further than the title of the CD they're after maybe. Original and reissue don't belong together. He should say:

2005 reissue of the 19XX release on ______ Records, etc. it makes it a little more clear.

I don't understand why would a band want to reissue their album on CD-R. They can be overwritten, they denote cheapness, plus they blur the line between legit and non-legit recordings. I'd be afraid to sell them, as they could be mistaken for pirate copies. Is silver-pressing that expensive?

I don't understand why would a band want to reissue their album on CD-R. They can be overwritten, they denote cheapness, plus they blur the line between legit and non-legit recordings. I'd be afraid to sell them, as they could be mistaken for pirate copies. Is silver-pressing that expensive?

Kind of done the rounds this one but , apart from possible resale value, what is the problem? Do the bands make money ? Yes. Does it play in your cd player? Yes (probably , my old portable seems to be having some issues with cd-r). Is music available which would otherwise not? Yes.

Dan answered for me on another post about the price and if you're confident of selling a reasonable quantity (1000+?) then it looks worthwhile. I've still not seen definative figures of what quantities these re-releases are shipping but I would bet 1000 is quite a large figure for some cd's.

As for unclear text. I really don't understand what is wrong with something clear and simple like 'Officially licenced re-release of 198x issue. This CD is distributed on high quality CD-R. We distribute on CD-R to ensure the music you want is available at a fair price to you and the bands.'

Ok here we go again. Let me explain clearly so Nostromo can understand.

Silver pressed cd's are made in a minimum quantity of 1,000. That means a band has to dish out at least $1,000 to re-press their disc.

CD-r's can be pressed in minimum quantities of 100 - that means a $250 investment.

Whatever YOU feel about the investment doesn't matter. Some people either don't want to take the risk of spending a grand on a title that may only sell 100 or 200 copies. Therefore a $250 investment is a low-risk investment that many bands are taking advantage of.

If you are anal about having silver cd's then shame on you for not supporting the bands - it is always the music that counts , not the packaging.

There are quite a few bands on CDBaby that press their discs green or black or blue or whatever they want , if you don't buy it because it 'cheapens' your collection then you are into music and/or collecting for all the wrong reasons and I personally find that offensive.

Being an artist and struggling to get a deal in this day and age is tough enough without having a select few dickheads trading cdr's and not actually buying the product. (I find it amazing that you will steal from the band by trading cdr's and yet won't fork out a few bucks to help them). Fortunately those 'dickheads' are in the minority. If the shoe fits.

End of story.

I guess my main concern about music on CDR is the durability of it...does anyone have any info on this? I've seen reports on how under extreme conditions (heat, cold, moisture, etc) cd's can lose some of their encoded information. And we all know that scratched up discs are prone to skipping. I just wonder how CDR's will preform over the long haul.

Then again,

a seller with 99.8% positive feedback with over 16,000 feedbacks isn't really MIS-LEADING a whole lot of people is he??

food for thought....

Jinky...didn't mean to point the finger at any specific seller. Just meant that if a buyer thinks an auction is "fishy" for whatever reason, he should go with his gut & avoid it. Sorry if you took at as a personal stab at you. :drink:

Silver pressed cd's are made in a minimum quantity of 1,000.

Well, that's not *exactly* true, although it effectively amounts to the same thing. You can get pressed discs in quantities as low as 300, although the cost per unit is so high that you're better off getting 1,000.

For example, in the latest DiscMakers catalogue (keep in mind the DiscMakers is one of the more expensive replicators; you can do better pricewise):

4-page 4/1 booklet (4/1 means full color on one side of the sheet and black on the other), full-color disc printing, 4/1 tray card, jewel case, polywrapped:

Quantity 300 = $1,095 = $3.65 each

Quantity 500 = $1,290 = $2.58 each

Quantity 1,000 = $1,390 = $1.39 each (best bang for the buck without spending megabux)

Quantity 2,000 = $2,380 = $1.19 each

So while you can get smaller quantities done, you might as well spend the extra $300 for the additional 700 units...

If you are anal about having silver cd's then shame on you for not supporting the bands - it is always the music that counts , not the packaging.

Bullshit. That's your opinion. The problem surrounding this whole CDR mess is the uncertainty of it all. If the discs being distributed are CDRs, who's to say that they are legitimate as opposed to "Cousin Bob" running them off in his garage? With a pressed disc, there is at least a feeling of security (perhaps a false one) that it is a legit disc. "CDR" has a certain negative connotation to it in collecting circles, like it or not. Does that mean that all CDRs are bootlegged? No. Does that mean that all pressed discs are NOT bootlegged? No, of course not.

However, the currently "accepted standard" whether you agree with it or not is a pressed disc. Now, will that change in the future? Too early to tell.

I will say this: it's a HELL of a lot easier for someone to copy a CDR release than a pressed disc release, so that "limited release" of 100 copies could easily grow into 500 because people are simply making copies and passing them off as one of the orginal 100.

Is that happening? I don't know, but there's a far higher chance of that happening with a CDR release than with a pressed disc release.

-Dan

"Bullshit. That's your opinion."

There's no opinions on that buddy. You either support the bands or you don't. How is that an opinion? If you choose to trade cdr's with your friend rather than going to CDbaby and purchasing it from the band THEN YOU ARE RIPPING THEM OFF. Now where does the bullshit lay? There is no excuse or justification for it so don't even try.

'However, the currently "accepted standard" whether you agree with it or not is a pressed disc. Now, will that change in the future? Too early to tell.'

Tell that to those struggling artists who can't afford to make them.

"I will say this: it's a HELL of a lot easier for someone to copy a CDR release than a pressed disc release, so that "limited release" of 100 copies could easily grow into 500 because people are simply making copies and passing them off as one of the orginal 100."

I agree , but that's why , for ebay merchants , the VERO program is in place and enforced.

It's a simple answer , buy the cd's direct from the source. How much easier should it be laid out?

There's no opinions on that buddy.  You either support the bands or you don't.  How is that an opinion?  If you choose to trade cdr's with your friend rather than going to CDbaby and purchasing it from the band THEN YOU ARE RIPPING THEM OFF.  Now where does the bullshit lay?  There is no excuse or justification for it so don't even try.

You're arguing in circles. You say that it's bad to trade CDRs and bad to NOT buy CDRs.

Press the discs and there's no problem, no issue, no grey area, no suspicion, no arguments, no dissention, no doubt.

-Dan

P.S. I was never supporting trading CDRs of in-print music. If you got that from any of my posts, you're wrong. In fact I don't know why you brought up trading CDRs, since I never said anything about that to begin with.

Back onto the subject of this topic.

I found nothing out of place about that wording.

I just assumed it meant not a CDR,rather than its an original pressing/release!

Original CD to me will always just mean its not a CDR.

First pressing,original pressing,original release etc,now they would mean exactly what they say!

I dunno what the fuss is about!

First pressing,original pressing,original release etc,now they would mean exactly what they say!

Just some verbal acrobatics, that's all.

One party says it is "original CD, not home-made CD-R", while the others rightfully point to the fact that while the first statement may be valid in certain circumstances, this particular release in fact is re-issue on duplicated pro-printed CD-R.

So it is kinda rhetorical debate - all bits by itself are true, but put together could mislead you quite good. Since you obviously assumed it is "not CDR," you got mislead too.

In other words we have very rare and unique oxymoron here: an original* CD which is not homemade CD-R, and yet is ...CD-R

Funny, isnt it :)

* - i'm not really sure if it is really original, just temporary taking their word for it for the sake of the argument.

Just some verbal acrobatics, that's all.

One party says it is "original CD, not home-made CD-R", while the others rightfully point to the fact that while the first statement may be valid in certain circumstances, this particular release in fact is re-issue on duplicated pro-printed CD-R.

So it is kinda rhetorical debate - all bits by itself are true, but put together could mislead you quite good. Since you obviously assumed it is "not CDR," you got mislead too.

In other words we have very rare and unique oxymoron here: an original* CD which is not homemade CD-R, and yet is ...CD-R

Funny, isnt it :)

* - i'm not really sure if it is really original, just temporary taking their word for it for the sake of the argument.

OH BOY..... :blink::wacko:

• I posed him that exact question on his discord page as to what his future plans are.... He said he plans to relax for a bit, do his You Tube thing, keep writing new music and then will decide how to release that music.  He said as of now he's thinking he'll either do a solo thing or form his own band.  He didn't say this but I'd sort of envision a Daughtry type "band" where he kind of puts a band behind his name. So essentially, I think you're right on with his plans.  Ultimately, I think like you say, the control is a big part of it.  I think he wants to be able to operate on his own schedule to maintain his health and family obligations. It'll be interesting to see what sound the new material takes on.  It would seem logical to think it would be rock/melodic rock of some sort since that's really the type of music he's built his following with but he certainly has shown he can dabble anywhere from AOR to metal.
    • Glad I got to see them with Erik in front. All the best to him, definitely looking forward to his future outings when he is fully recovered. Would be cool to see him form his own band, where he could take control, and play around in different genres, from full on metal, to soothing AOR, the guy is so versatile.
    • Remedy - Crying Heart. One I've just seen thanks to the Iridium channel.  From the upcoming album. It's a Killer.     
    • Let's not forget Benny Hill. What a Magnificent show that was.    
    • Yeah... I dunno about that. It would be too cringe. Who knows? If I'm high enough, I might submit a video. 
    • Yep great track and if you fancy being in the video for "The Feeling" nows your chance.  
    • I'm proud to say that I had this single when I was a mere 8 years old. KISS were big down here then. Norman Gunston is Iconic for Aussies of my vintage.  The face ln the bottom left says it all. Hilarious.     
    • All in all, this is a great story. Erik played a brilliant, well received, albeit short cameo with one of our favourite bands.  It was a win, win, win. A win for us, a win for Skid Row (the album certainly put them back on the map) and a win for Erik, adding this to his already impressive resume. The fact that it was so amicable with both parties is also great to see.
    • I really like this album - not every song on it but there are some surprisingly catchy melodies all over. Personally I think the singer adds great energy to the mix. It reminds me of the earlier Bai Bang ("closer to you")

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.